For people who are tenants

How we are compensating tenants. Moving involves a lot of upheaval and is a long process. The timeline is different depending on where you live in the affected area. Here you will find everything you need to know prior to your move.

Dialogue with your landlord

Your landlord will contact you in plenty of time before your move. It is important that you have time to think about your future accommodation and that you, along with your landlord, come up with a suitable solution.

Prior to the move

Your landlord will be presented with two options by LKAB. They can either be compensated with a replacement building or with a sum of money. If your landlord chooses a new apartment building as compensation, you may receive an offer to move with your landlord. If this happens, you can remain in your current apartment until the new building is ready to move into.

If your landlord chooses the financial option, LKAB Fastigheter will be your new landlord. In plenty of time before the property you live in is sold to LKAB, your landlord will inform you of the options available to you.

If you currently rent from LKAB Fastigheter, you will need to contact them directly.

An example of what happens if you move to a smaller, brand new apartment

You move from four rooms and a kitchen to a brand new apartment with three rooms and a kitchen. You then pay a monthly rent equivalent to the cost of three rooms and a kitchen in your current apartment building during the first year in your new apartment.

Offer of a new tenancy – a choice for your future

As a tenant, you will be compensated in three stages:

  • Offer of a new tenancy.
  • Removal expenses.
  • Gradual rent increases, if you move into a brand new apartment.

How gradual rent increases work

A gradual rent increase means that the rent is gradually increased over a seven-year period. Provided that you move into an apartment of the same size, you retain your current rent for the first year. Your rent is then gradually increased over the next seven years. You pay the full rent in the ninth year.

Your rent will also be gradually increased if you move to a larger or smaller brand new apartment. The rent increase will then be based on what the equivalent apartment costs in your current apartment building. Note that anyone moving to older housing stock will not be subject to rent increases, regardless of whether the size of the apartment remains the same or changes.

Personal rent increase

The gradual rent increase scheme is tied to the person who moved as a result of urban transformation and does not accompany you if you voluntarily move to another apartment during the period in which the rent in being increased. If you move on, the apartment will be rented out to the next tenant at the full rent.

You are covered by the rent increase regardless of who your landlord is. This allows you to move to modern, newly-built accommodation of a higher standard.

Skissbild över området kring Repisvaara Södra

Think about your future accommodation

It is good to be prepared – start thinking about what future tenancy would best suit you. Do you want an apartment of the same size, or would you prefer to move to a smaller or larger apartment? Thinking ahead gives you plenty of opportunity to get answers to your questions quickly, but remember – you should discuss your future accommodation with your current landlord. Contact your landlord if you have any questions.

Moving to a new apartment

When it is time to move to your new apartment you will be compensated with relocation assistance or removal expenses to cover costs including change of address and transport.

We understand that you have many questions

We will do our best to answer your questions about when you will be affected, where you can move, and how the relocation will happen. However, it can often be challenging to provide straightforward and simple answers because LKAB does not control the entire transformation, and many parties are involved.